Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Am I insane or just weird?


I have had more interest and response to this blog than anything else I have done. So, I figured I'd let you in on why I am doing this in the first place. Well, the reasons are many. But most of them all boil down to making the best life I can for my family (the pic above is one of my sons). First of all, I truly believe that what God created HAS to be better than what man makes. I am thankful for the intelligence and creativity that God has given to man and I do believe that the innovations and technology that we have come up with has had a dramatic and beneficial impact on our world and society. However, I also believe there are many damaging side effects of these innovations as well. I wonder if using harsh chemicals in our homes and on our bodies has caused some of the sicknesses and diseases we see today. I wonder if cutting those out of our lives could help prevent some tragic, long term problems. I do not have proof of this but I'll just say, I feel better knowing that I am not exposing my family to the harsh unknown substances that come in some of the products I have bought in the past.

Secondly, I am trying to be a good steward of not only my family and their health but of our finances as well. I found, so far, that the things I am trying are by far less expensive than the store bought versions and believe it or not, are SUPER easy to make!

Thirdly, I know that reusing items is better for the planet. So, as a bonus, by not purchasing so many disposable bottles and containers I am decreasing the waste that comes out of my home and the harmful effects they could have on our beautiful Earth.

Lastly, something that I didn't expect has happened! I get this feeling of accomplishment and pride. I love feeling like what I'm doing is helpful, healthy, frugal, creative and it's something I made! It's a great feeling.

I know there are those out there that are rolling their eyes at me like I'm crazy. And, that's okay with me! I invite you all to join me in these experiments and find out for yourself if you might actually enjoy being a little weird too!

Later today I will talk about homemade bread and wheat grinding and tomorrow I will let you know how my homemade cleaner did on my grimy bathroom surfaces!

No comments:

Post a Comment